2017 MIPS Eligibility
Who Participates in MIPS?
You are eligible to participate in the MIPS track of the Quality Payment Program if you bill more than $30,000 to Medicare in allowable charges, AND provide care to more than 100 Medicare patients per year, and you are one of the following clinicians:
- Physicians, which includes doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy (including osteopathic practitioners), doctors of dental surgery, doctors of dental medicine, doctors of podiatric medicine, doctors of optometry, and chiropractors
- Physician assistants (PAs)
- Nurse practitioners (NPs)
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists
- Any clinician group that includes one of the professionals listed above
If you have not yet received your letter from CMS indicating your eligibility status, you can check here: https://qpp.cms.gov/learn/eligibility
What Should You Do?
If included in MIPS, the clinician:
- Must participate to avoid a negative adjustment to their Medicare Part B payments and potentially earn an upward adjustment.
- Can participate as an individual or as part of their group.
- Can pick the pace of their participation for the transition year. If they’re ready, they can collect performance data beginning with services that were furnished beginning on January 1, 2017. Clinicians can also choose to start anytime between January 1 and October 2, 2017.